Gloucester Cathedral, formally the Cathedral Church of St Peter and the Holy and Indivisible Trinity, stands in the north of the city near the River Severn and originated in 678 or 679 with the foundation of an abbey dedicated to Saint Peter.
The foundations of the present church were laid by Abbot Serlo (1072–1104). The cathedral, built as the abbey church, consists of a Norman nucleus, with additions in every style of Gothic architecture. It is 420 feet (130 m) long, and 144 feet (44 m) wide, with a fine central tower of the 15th century rising to the height of 225 ft (69 m) and topped by four delicate pinnacles. The nave is massive Norman with an Early English roof; the crypt, under the choir, aisles and chapels, is Norman, as is the chapter house.
Between 1873 and 1890, and in 1897, the cathedral was extensively restored by George Gilbert Scott.
The south porch is in the Perpendicular style, with a fan-vaulted roof, as also is the north transept, the south being transitional Decorated Gothic.
Between 2008 and 2010, we participated in the South Aisle restoration of 3 buttresses and fixing 6 new gargoyles.
The masons Stone Art employ are often trained at the Cathedral where they achieve a deep knowledge of restoration and conservation.